A while back, redditor u/sqweelie asked the question: "People who have surprisingly woken up admitted into a hospital, what happened?" And they shared the WILDEST stories that landed them in the hospital.
Here are some of the most shocking responses:
1. "I was hit by a truck while walking home from work and was airlifted to hospital. I woke up a day later. A month later, found out it was my best friend's older brother who hit me."
"He hit me over collared greens."
2. "I was 18 years old and got super wasted on Smirnoff Watermelon vodka at some little club in Clearwater, FL. Apparently, I fell off a tall barstool and busted my head. When I woke up, I wasn't even sure what state I was in."
"I accidentally called my friend's mom in North Dakota, trying to get a ride to somewhere other than the hospital. A decade later, and I still can't drink anything with that watermelon flavor."
3. "It happened when I was in kindergarten. Apparently, I fell down the stairs after I stepped on my own trousers."
4. "I was watching Voyager on TV, and next thing I knew, I was in a hospital bed. Turns out, I'd gotten up too fast, had a lack of blood flow to the head, and passed out — hitting my head on the floor hard (I'm 6'6") and fracturing my skull."
5. "I was going out with some friends for my 21st birthday. We were pre-gaming, and they fed me a lot of shots. We hop in a cab and set to go out to some clubs. Next thing you know, I wake up in a hospital bed. Turns out, I jumped out of the cab prematurely and hit my head."
"I didn't have any physical marks on me, nor did my head hurt, not even a hangover."
7. "I was shot in the stomach at about a two-foot range by a guy who had the gun in his backpack. He was in the process of robbing a store when I walked in, and I didn't see it happening as he had the gun hidden."
"A lot of other people in the store didn't know, either. I asked him if he was in line, and he turned and fired. I don't remember anything after, but I've pieced together the rest. He shot me three times, hitting mostly muscle, but also one kidney. I'm entirely fine today, but that was a fairly alarming realization of how close I came."
8. "I was running a half-marathon with a friend, and we'd just passed the 10-mile mark. Things were going well after I struggled a bit the previous few miles. Then, I woke up the next day in the ICU with my family all around me."
9. "Summer of 2002, I woke up in the hospital cuffed to a hospital bed. Tubes all over me and stitches all over my chest. The night before, I was hit by a drunk driver."
"I had a 6-inch gash down the center of my chest exposing a few ribs. The doctor had me sedated and arms secured to the bed because I was trying to pull my catheter out."
10. "I fell off monkey bars at a playground and was knocked unconscious. I remember waking up in a hospital bed to a doctor telling my parents about some metal in my head, and then them taking my ponytail out."
"Metal was in my hair tie."
11. "Had a seizure at work. I was apparently walking into walls and fell down in the bathroom. My mom came to pick me up, brought me to my place. I fell down and had another seizure, and my mom called an ambulance."
"All I remember was going into the bathroom at work after puking in my lesson room. I woke up in an ICU with everyone telling me that I had brain cancer, and I had two weeks to live. They started chemo treatment immediately, and now I'm completely clean of cancer."
12. "When I was 12, I was riding my bike down a sidewalk; the sidewalk took a 45-degree left turn, and I cut the corner. Grass was deep and a little wet, and my front wheel caught on the edge of the sidewalk, flipping me over. I landed on my face, dragged against the other edge of the sidewalk, knocked out cold."
14. "I was about 8 years old. It was sports carnival day at school, where we spent the day competing in various sports, and I was watching one group play t-ball. Next minute, hospital."
"I was thwacked in the forehead with a flying metal bat and had a massive abrasion — which turned into the oddest scab you'd ever seen, like a unicorn had its horn lopped off. Still have a scar to this day."
15. "My brother and I were outside playing with squirt guns (this was 2001, and I was 11). Next thing I know, it's Easter Sunday, and I'm in a hospital bed with a massive headache and blurred vision — and the last thing I remembered was 4 days ago."
16. "I was walking down the road one night (proper side of road in reflective gear) headed to the gas station for some Mountain Dew and smokes. Suddenly, it's two days later, and I'm strapped to a hospital bed."
"Apparently, I was hit by a Mitsubishi 3000GT. Kid driving was coming from a rave, high as a kite, and thought I was an angel in my reflective gear. He tried to catch me with his bumper. Fun times."
Ouch. Have you ever surprisingly woken up in the hospital? What happened? Let us know in the comments below.
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.