Recently, Redditor u/RowBowBooty asked the internet, "What is one thing that you don’t like about adult life?" People opened up about the struggles they face in adulthood, and honestly, it's really thought-provoking. Here are some of the top-voted responses:
1. "The cost of living and supporting myself on minimum wage."
2. "Realizing the impermanence of everything you do."
3. "Figuring out what to make/eat for dinner every day of your life."
4. "The unlearning of the lessons drilled into us as kids about fairness and equality."
5. "Feeling pressured to have sex."
6. "There's never enough time off. It's work, work, work almost the whole year with a couple of weeks where you can relax for a second and catch your breath."
7. "Filing taxes."
8. "I really hate those moments where I get a reality check about my childhood/teenage years. Since becoming an adult, I’ve been noticing problems in my family I would have never been able to see with my childhood naivety."
9. "Chores. They take up so much time if you don’t want to live like you're in a pigpen."
10. "Honestly, a big one is having to relearn a lot of things that I thought I’d never need in school when I was younger. Turns out, you do end up using a lot of it, just not in the ways you expected."
11. "Dealing with other emotionally incompetent adults just pisses me off. Like, seriously, my kids are more mature than some of my colleagues."
12. "Like…the kitchen is just always dirty. I clean and clean, and I look up, and the sink is full of dishes again. It never ends."
13. "I think the toughest part is realizing that life can be absolutely brutal for no reason and out of nowhere."
14. "Yard work. It’s the absolute worst."
15. "Money. Money sucks, and I hate having to worry about it all the time."
16. "It's frustrating how people expect you to have your sh*t together, even though we all know none of us truly have our sh*t together all the time."
17. "No summers off. I would cut my salary in half for that."
18. "Having the knowledge, but not the time, energy, or enthusiasm to learn all the cool stuff you always wanted to know how to do as a kid."
19. "Knowing the fact that one day, you won't have your parents to help you anymore."
20. "People/jobs expect you to not have a life outside of work."
21. And finally: "The next step seems so far away. There was always the next grade level, or next school (middle school, then high school, then college). The next graduation, the next step up. Suddenly, retirement is the next step, which is 40 years away."
What are some other things you don't like about adult life? Let us know in the comments below.
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.