Simon Ostrovsky (right) next to a Pro-Russian gunman at a seized police station in the eastern Ukraine town of Slovyansk. This photo was taken Sunday.
2. Updated — 1:49 p.m. ET
3. Vice reporter Simon Ostrovsky was taken hostage by separatists while he was working in Slovyansk earlier this week. He tweeted Thursday that he is safe.
4. Vice posted the following statement:
VICE News is delighted to confirm that our colleague and friend Simon Ostrovsky has been safely released and is in good health. We would like to thank everyone for their support during this difficult time. Out of respect for Simon and his family’s privacy, we have no further statement at this time.
5. A Radio-Canada journalist tweeted Ostrovsky is with him.
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23--year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂