21 Times Mindy Lahiri Totally Understood Chronic Illness
Because it's way easier to explain your disease to others when you use Mindy Kaling gifs.
1. When you're sick all the time and you know there's something seriously wrong but doctors tell you it's nothing.
Are you even a real medical doctor?
2. When a doctor finally tells you it's not all in your head.
Long overdue self validation! Yes!
3. When you feel a weird mixture of relief and grief after your diagnosis.
So when you say "chronic" you mean "temporary and totally treatable" right?
4. When you have to explain your confusing illness to your friends and family.
No, lupus is not contagious.
5. And their only response is "but you don't look sick."
Thanks guys, that's really helpful!
6. When someone tells you about the newest fad diet that will cure your disease.
No. Just no.
7. When your bed and Netflix are the only friends who get you.
Socializing with other humans is just too exhausting sometimes.
8. When you get a new doctor and you have to tell them all of your symptoms.
No wait, the list is double sided. There's more.
9. Just when you think there's no such thing as having a new symptom and then you feel a brand new pain.
Seriously? How is this scientifically possible?
10. And then you can't stop googling it to see what's going on even though you know that's a bad idea.
Google just told me there's a 90% chance that I'm already dead.
11. When you're prescribed steroids and people try to understand why you gained so much weight.
I know it's not normal to eat an entire turkey at 5 am. I get it.
12. What you really wish your friends would say to you when you tell them you're having a flare up.
Cake makes everything better.
13. When someone makes a snarky comment about your handicap parking permit.
Them's fighting words.
14. When you wake up in the morning and think you're going to have a low pain day.
I CAN DO ANYTHING!
15. But a few minutes later the pain and fatigue come out of hiding.
On second thought - where's that elevator?
16. When all your friends go out partying and you have to stay home.
All by myselfffff...don't wanna beee all by myselfff anymore.
17. When you have to give yourself pep talks during every needle or medical test.
Just pretend this is Grey's Anatomy and everything will be okay.
18. When you wonder how you're supposed to deal.
It's seriously a lot for one person to handle sometimes.
19. But then you remind yourself that you're strong and you totally got this.
I might be sick but I'm also awesome. I can do this!