6. However, they needed to travel to Maryland to get married.
They live in Ohio, where same-sex marriage is still banned. So they decided on marriage in Maryland, where only one partner needed to apply for the marriage license, and then travel there to have the ceremony.
7. This is more difficult than it might seem.
Because John is bedridden, they needed to get a private jet to fly them the hour-long trip to Maryland.
8. The private jet that was needed cost $12,700.
As soon as they heard the Supreme Court decision, the couple reached out to friends and family to see how they could make this trip happen.
- Donald Trump's campaign chief Stephen Bannon said "he doesn't like Jews," according to his ex-wife.
- Facebook shifts to algorithms to decide which stories to highlight in its trending news section after allegations of liberal bias at the company.
- Far-right protesters climbed Berlin's famous Brandenburg Gate to protest against refugees. About 1.1 million asylum-seekers arrived in Germany last year.