6. However, they needed to travel to Maryland to get married.
They live in Ohio, where same-sex marriage is still banned. So they decided on marriage in Maryland, where only one partner needed to apply for the marriage license, and then travel there to have the ceremony.
7. This is more difficult than it might seem.
Because John is bedridden, they needed to get a private jet to fly them the hour-long trip to Maryland.
8. The private jet that was needed cost $12,700.
As soon as they heard the Supreme Court decision, the couple reached out to friends and family to see how they could make this trip happen.
- Hillary Clinton has officially accepted the Democratic party's presidential nomination with some fiery words for Donald Trump 🇺🇸
- Old-school MTV is returning Aug. 1 with shows like "Daria," "Beavis & Butt-Head," "Cribs," and "Punk'd" 📺 🙌
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯