6. However, they needed to travel to Maryland to get married.
They live in Ohio, where same-sex marriage is still banned. So they decided on marriage in Maryland, where only one partner needed to apply for the marriage license, and then travel there to have the ceremony.
7. This is more difficult than it might seem.
Because John is bedridden, they needed to get a private jet to fly them the hour-long trip to Maryland.
8. The private jet that was needed cost $12,700.
As soon as they heard the Supreme Court decision, the couple reached out to friends and family to see how they could make this trip happen.
- President Trump addresses the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, the same gathering he skipped last year amid tensions with organizers.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.