1. We all know singer Janelle Monáe has a thing for androids.
Janelle Monáe writes her albums about them, partially for political reasons. She said in an interview that she chose an android as her topic because it represents “‘the other’ in our society […] The android represents the new other to me.”
2. In fact, she writes what she knows. She is part android:
Yes I am African-American, yes I am part android and all these different things, but at the end of the day love is universal and music is universal.
7. Her “love for androids” may be an attempt to avoid labels on her sexuality.
She’s stated, “I don’t believe in categories. I respect people for who they are, and I’m attracted to that more than anything.” She also wonders how we will treat androids in the future, whether we will shun them or use them, and that is what her albums have been written about.
- Hillary Clinton has officially accepted the Democratic party's presidential nomination with some fiery words for Donald Trump 🇺🇸
- A federal court struck down North Carolina's voting restrictions, ruling they intentionally made it harder for black people to vote.
- Four people in Florida are likely the first to contract the Zika virus from mosquitos in the US, the state's governor says.