This great post has been making the rounds on Tumblr.
It’s a playlist of mostly queer, gay, or bi people singing songs about love — same-sex love, in particular. Because sometimes you need a love song that can capture your experience more accurately.
Here are the songs on the playlist:
1. The Blow, “Parentheses”
An entire song about cuddling? Sounds great to me!
2. Brett Every, “Beautiful Day”
If you don’t start picturing your own future gay wedding while you listen to this, YOU ARE NOT HUMAN.
3. Frank Ocean, “Forrest Gump”
And if you don’t get super nostalgic about your first love while listening to this song, I don’t want to know you.
4. Mika, “Origin of Love”
A song about addictive love, religion, and being consumed by someone — all complicated issues, and all things we’ve had to deal with.
5. Matt Alber, “End of the World”
This song will remind you of all of your failed loves, so DON’T LISTEN TO THE LYRICS if you don’t want to end up tearing up.
6. Hunx And His Punx, “Too Young To Be In Love”
BEING IN HIGH SCHOOL SUCKS. This song gets that — if only it didn’t hit home so well.
7. Tegan and Sara, “Closer”
Look, Tegan and Sara, I am totally cool with you getting a little bit closer to me.
8. Melissa Etheridge, “I’m The Only One”
This is a classic, of course. And also so real. Anger, desperation, and lesbians — this song only speaks the truth.
9. The Magnetic Fields, “Papa Was A Rodeo”
Strangely sweet song of meeting your lover who is just as adventurous as you are — in a dive bar. Here’s to hoping.
10. Scissor Sisters, “Might Tell You Tonight”
This is just classically adorable, and maybe it will inspire you to tell YOUR special someone your real feelings.
11. The Damned, “Jet Boy, Jet Girl”
Another song that perfectly captures adolescence, so listen if you want to relive that again.
12. CSS, “Let’s Make Love And Listen To Death From Above”
Sounds good to me!
13. Darren Hayes, “So Beautiful”
Sorry have to go cry about feelings and love for a while. YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO BEAUTIFUL TOO, DARREN HAYES.
14. Adam Lambert, “If I Had You”
Song about partying when you would really rather be cuddling with someone, to be listened to while you’re partying when you would really rather be cuddling with someone.
15. John Barrowman, “Your Song”
John Barrowman covers Elton John’s classic — who could complain, really? I will literally never stop feeling emotional about this song.
16. Cosmo Jarvis, “Gay Pirates”
Well, Cosmo Jarvis isn’t actually gay, so that’s a pity. This song definitely is, though — a tragic tale of two male pirates in love. While probably less relatable than these other songs, it’s totally great.
17. Goldfrapp, “Rocket”
Danger, heartache, passive aggressive lyrics, perfection.
18. Sleater Kinney, “Oh!”
This song is not only catchy, but the line “I’m sick and tired of letting you go” will hit you right in the heart every time.
19. Lovers, “Boxer”
The perfect theme song for your breakup process.
20. Sia, “Clap Your Hands”
A perfect anthem for allowing yourself to love.
Here are a few more to add:
21. The Feeling, “Fill My Little World”
OK, you may not know The Feeling, but they were super popular in the United Kingdom a few years ago. The frontman, Dan Gillespie, is gay and raised by two gay moms and he has a beautiful voice and he writes the most delightfully poppy songs inspired by Queen EVER so listen to this.
22. Jessie J, “Do It Like A Dude”
OK, so there are arguments that this song is about making it in the music industry as a woman, but the music video is super gay (not just because of the butchiness, girls TOTALLY KISS), and Jessie J is openly bisexual. Really feels like this song is about, well, being just as capable of “doing it.”
23. Queen, “Somebody To Love”
Speaking of Queen, how could we create this list without a good dose of Freddie Mercury? Wonderful song, wonderful man.
24. Beautiful, “Me’shell Ndegeocello”
This doesn’t have a fun music video, and the song is devastatingly simple, but it is so beautiful. Check out her amazing cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Chelsea Hotel,” too.
25. Wham, “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go”
Oh, George Michael.
26. Tracy Chapman, “Give Me One Reason”
The best sort-of-passive-aggressive lesbian breakup song ever.
27. Franz Ferdinand, “Michael”
Probably the simplest song — just about seeing a hot boy on the dance floor that you want to dance with. Also, the boy has “sticky hair,” which I guess means he uses too much hair gel, and who hasn’t had that experience?
28. Pansy Division, “Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond Of Each Other”
This song probably inspired Brokeback Mountain, right? It’s a song about confused, homoerotic, extra-masculine men. Listen to it and love it.
29. Bloc Party, “I Still Remember”
A song about being in love with someone you’ve known forever, and letting them get away, and never telling them… siiiigh.
30. Team Dresch, “Fagetarian and Dyke”
More anger! More heartbreak! Admit it, you can’t get enough.
31. THEESatisfaction, “Deeper”
Love, love, love, love (I think I love these women). The song starts about 40 seconds in.
32. Baths, “Ironworks”
Yup — it’s a song about him having an affair with a married man. Oof part II.
33. Austra, “Home”
The pretty harmonies almost make up for this song reminding you of all of your toxic relationships. Heh.
34. Perfume Genius, “Hood”
The music video is almost enough, but the lyrics are full of terror and growing pains and — oh man. Even more heartbreaking is the fact that the man featured in this video, Apard Miklos, committed suicide in February. The YouTube video is now dedicated to his memory.
35. Le1f, “Spa Day”
Just a song about being hot and people wanting to hit it. You know you relate to that. Also: “I make her man wanna leave her and lick the johnson.”
- Hidden from public view, there's a parallel legal universe that empowers corporations to bend countries to their will, an investigation reveals.
- Mexican music legend Juan Gabriel has died at 66. The singer was known for his mariachi tunes and ballads on love and heartbreak.
- Beyoncé slayed her "Lemonade" performance at the MTV VMAs Sunday night 👸🐝