1. Until 10 years ago, there were still laws in some states that made consensual gay sexual contact explicitly illegal.
In 1998, two men named John Lawrence and Tyron Garner were arrested in Texas for having sex. The officers came to Lawrence’s home after receiving a false report that they had a weapon. The police did not search the home, but simply arrested them for homosexual conduct.
4. Today, ten years later, the Supreme Court struck down DOMA across the country.
Read more about the anti-sodomy laws at Lambda Legal.
- President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump had their first dance to Frank Sinatra's "My Way" at an inaugural ball 🇺🇸
- On his first day in office President Trump signed an executive order to "minimize the economic burden" of the Affordable Care Act.
- Over 200 people were arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clashed in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- Flights around the country are packed with pink as people stream into the nation's capital for the Women's March on Washington 👭 💖