1. Until 10 years ago, there were still laws in some states that made consensual gay sexual contact explicitly illegal.
In 1998, two men named John Lawrence and Tyron Garner were arrested in Texas for having sex. The officers came to Lawrence’s home after receiving a false report that they had a weapon. The police did not search the home, but simply arrested them for homosexual conduct.
4. Today, ten years later, the Supreme Court struck down DOMA across the country.
Read more about the anti-sodomy laws at Lambda Legal.
- A second wave of bomb threats sent to Jewish community centers in the evening brought the number of locations threatened on Monday to 29.
- Accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers fessed up to the massive Oscars oops that caused "La La Land" to be named best picture instead of "Moonlight" 🙊
- President Trump accused Barack Obama of organizing recent protests against him and leaking information from the White House to the press.
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝