1. In 1930, two agents work in the fingerprinting division.
2. The identification division of the FBI in 1935.
3. J. Edgar Hoover in 1936, inspecting weapons.
4. Here in 1937, J. Edgar Hoover is apparently being made a member of the Shirley Temple Police Force.
5. 1938: J. Edgar Hoover being the man.
6. J. Edgar Hoover shows Shirley Temple around the office in 1938. They were apparently great lifelong friends.
7. Too cute: J. Edgar and Miss Temple.
8. On her visit to the bureau, J. Edgar Hoover also showed Shirley Temple how to ride a mechanical horse!
9. 1941: An agent shows how a hidden message can be revealed with ultraviolet light.
10. 1941: We see how sometimes messages can be hidden within the lining of an envelope.
11. Also from the same 1941 series, an agent decodes a message using the anagram encryption method. Straight up DaVinci Code style.
12. The result of a 1942 FBI raid on the homes of enemy aliens. Holy.
13. Hiding microfilm in a wristwatch in 1941. Sneaky.
14. Also in 1941, here an agent uses a razor blade to cut microprints from a strip of microfilm.
15. An agent listens to a message being transfered via radio (1941).
16. The door to the Puerto Rican branch of the FBI in 1942.
17. Female clerks working away in the file room in 1943.
18. The large file room at the FBI headquarters in 1943.
- It's time: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will face off tonight at 9 p.m. ET in the first of three US presidential debates.
- Inside the final days of the FARC, Colombia's 50-year-old rebel group, which is on the verge of signing a peace treaty with the government.
- Golf legend Arnold Palmer has died at 87. Known as "The King," his unusual style and charisma changed the game.