1. In 1930, two agents work in the fingerprinting division.
2. The identification division of the FBI in 1935.
3. J. Edgar Hoover in 1936, inspecting weapons.
4. Here in 1937, J. Edgar Hoover is apparently being made a member of the Shirley Temple Police Force.
5. 1938: J. Edgar Hoover being the man.
6. J. Edgar Hoover shows Shirley Temple around the office in 1938. They were apparently great lifelong friends.
7. Too cute: J. Edgar and Miss Temple.
8. On her visit to the bureau, J. Edgar Hoover also showed Shirley Temple how to ride a mechanical horse!
9. 1941: An agent shows how a hidden message can be revealed with ultraviolet light.
10. 1941: We see how sometimes messages can be hidden within the lining of an envelope.
11. Also from the same 1941 series, an agent decodes a message using the anagram encryption method. Straight up DaVinci Code style.
12. The result of a 1942 FBI raid on the homes of enemy aliens. Holy.
13. Hiding microfilm in a wristwatch in 1941. Sneaky.
14. Also in 1941, here an agent uses a razor blade to cut microprints from a strip of microfilm.
15. An agent listens to a message being transfered via radio (1941).
16. The door to the Puerto Rican branch of the FBI in 1942.
17. Female clerks working away in the file room in 1943.
18. The large file room at the FBI headquarters in 1943.
- The Clinton campaign is trying to stop television stations from running a pro-Trump ad featuring Michelle Obama.
- A group of UK Uber drivers have won the right to minimum wage and holiday pay in a landmark tribunal ruling 🚘
- A federal jury cleared the leaders of an Oregon standoff. The militia group took over a wildlife refuge last January.
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀