1. A bit of background history…
After WWI, America became increasingly diet-conscious and by the 1940s, the sugar industry felt it was unjustly under attack by “faddists” who advocated a reduction of sugar from the American diet. In an attempt to combat the increasingly bad opinions of sugar, the industry actively decided to “inform the public on the merits of sugar, its value, function, and place in the diet…” (For further reading, check out this shocking 1942 internal document from the Organization of Sugar Research Foundation.)
- The White House continued to defend rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized recreational use.
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at the Coachella festival, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while she's pregnant 🐝😭
- Indiana police released chilling audio in the case two teens found dead in the woods — a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."