1. Here is a Lord and Taylor ad that appeared in a 1980 issue of New York magazine.
The great “rare parrot sweater” trend of 1980 is an elusive one. Here is what we know:
- These “exclusive parrots” were the talk of the town.
- The pullovers were hand-knit.
- The sweaters dazzled in white.
- They were also emblazoned by the “brightest birds in captivity.”
The rest remains a mystery…
- Athletes probably won't break records at the Rio Olympics. In most events, top performers have already reached the limits of human biology, scientists say.
- Some Bernie-or-Busters protested Hillary Clinton's DNC speech, but a tightly organized plan — from chants to secret allies — kept heckling off TV.
- Sixteen people have died after a hot air balloon crashed in Texas.