This cross between a doughnut and a croissant, invented by the Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York City, has people lined up around the block day after day. (PS: the BuzzFeed L.A. office is dying for some!)
3. The Invisible Bike Helmet
How is it invisible?! (I know…) I don’t want to ruin the surprise, so watch the video. If you want to buy one, they currently ship to countries in the EU.
4. The Royal Baby
This bundle of joy came into the world on July 22.
Well, the Affordable Health Care Act is heading into its first year of operation, and enrollment opened in October 2013. This changed your life if you didn’t have health care before. It also changed your life because you spent way too much time dealing with this nonfunctional website.
10. The Pebble
This much-hyped Kickstarter project finally put out its product this year, much to the delight of tech enthusiasts. It’s a “smartwatch” that lets you answer calls, gives you notifications (like texts, so you don’t have to look at your phone, which just takes wayyyyy too long), and also supports certain apps.
12. In 2013, same-sex marriage became legal in Rhode Island, Delaware, Minnesota, Hawaii, and Illinois.
(In, Illinois the same-sex marriage law will go into effect on June 1, 2014.)
18. The “Harlem Shake” Phenomenon
This meme took over everyone’s lives for a time.
20. Lil Bub’s web series, Lil Bub’s Big Show
2013 gave us MORE Lil Bub, and thank goodness because I could watch her adorable web series forever.
21. The discovery that Earth-like “habitable zone” planets are way more common than we ever imagined.
This has been a fruitful year in the way of discoveries in the cosmos, many of which are exciting because they live in “habitable zones” — systems where water or life could potentially exist. Click here for a mind-boggling graphic from The New York Times on all of Kepler’s discovered planets. Maybe there’s life out there yet…
- A Pennsylvania judge has ordered Bill Cosby to face trial for a felony sex-assault case from 2004.
- Twitter will no longer count links, @names, and GIFs toward its 140-character limit. You can also retweet yourself now.
- The NFL released new Super Bowl locations. The next 5 are in Houston, Minnesota, Atlanta, South Florida, and L.A. 🏈