1. This is an exchange between Ernest Hemingway and two friends in 1950.
The backstory on this:
- Russel Crouse, a journalist, playwright, and friend of Ernest, sent this telegram to their mutual friend, Leonard Lyons, a columnist.
- Leonard is talking about the journalist Heywood Broun, a notoriously horrible dresser. Following Broun’s death, Hemingway apparently (jokingly, one would imagine) tried to claim the title of “worst-dressed man.”
- The recipient of the telegram, Leonard Lyons, presumably sent the document to Hemingway, who hand-wrote the following:
“I challenge you Crouse you louse or I will defend yours without mercy Your old colleague but implacable enemy on this terrain, Ernie”
3. Judging from this photo, it seems safe to say that Hemingway’s claim to the “worst-dressed man” title should have never been disputed in the first place.
- Donald Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, replacing Michael Flynn who resigned last week.
- Famine in South Sudan has left 100,000 people facing starvation and nearly 8 million in need of immediate assistance, UN agencies say.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it's the definition of friendship goals 😎