2. It wasn’t, as some people assumed, just another day in Lower Sackville. It was actually a perfect recreation of this beloved scene from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
3. Eric Anstey, the man behind the stunt, spent 15 minutes in the rain, waving at passing cars and yelling “shitter’s full!”
4. His wife recorded the whole thing and, along with her hilarious running commentary, the whole thing is an utter delight.
5. But he wasn’t just doing it for laughs. Anstey is completing “12 dares of Christmas” to raise money for a scholarship fund.
So far, Anstey has:
- Shaved his beard
- Performed a spectacular Whitney Houston lip sync in his wife’s dress
- Walked around a Sobey’s parking lot in a wrestling outfit
- Attempted to down 4 litres of milk (this one didn’t go so well)
- Taken a two-minute ice bath
- Sang Christmas carols at Costco in a festive costume
He’s been broadcasting each dare in hilarious Facebook live videos. The “National Lampoon” stunt has been his most popular so far, nearing 40,000 views.
7. “I’m happy to entertain, but the most important thing for me was the donations and getting as much money as I could for the kids about to start their college careers,” Anstey told BuzzFeed Canada.
The scholarship is in the memory of Rylee Sears, Anstey’s cousin who died of meningococcal meningitis in 2015. He was only 16.
“He was an outstanding young man, he was one of those kids that was kind to everyone. Polite and friendly, and really cared about people,” said Anstey.
He was expecting to get maybe $25 per dare, but he’s now managed to raise more than $3,000 for the scholarship.
“It’s kind of mind-blowing,” he said. “People that I don’t know are sending me donations and offering me their best wishes.”