1. Before he was mayor, Rob Ford was already making headlines. In 2006, while serving as a city councillor, he said: "If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn’t get AIDS probably.”
2. And in March 2008 he made comments about "Oriental people slowly taking over" and that they "work like dogs."
3. When he won the mayoral election in October 2010. It was the first of many surprises for Torontonians who had underestimated his appeal.
4. That time Marg Delahunty — aka CBC comedian Mary Walsh — ambushed Ford at his home and he freaked out and called the cops.
5. That time he fell while tossing around a football in front of city hall. And while some saw it as a fumble, Ford laughed it off.
6. When he walked face-first into a news camera.
7. When Gawker broke the story that they'd seen a video of Ford smoking crack cocaine in May 2013.
8. Then there was that time he beat Hulk Hogan in an arm wrestling match.
9. When, in November 2013, he finally admitted to smoking crack during an impromptu media scrum after months of denial.
10. That same month, the Toronto Star released this video showing Ford "gesturing wildly, ranting gibberish and pledging to 'kill that f---ing guy … first-degree murder.'"
11. Then city council voted to strip Ford of all the powers they could, transferring them to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly.
12. And then he mimed drunk driving at a councillor during one of those sessions.
13. When he said this about his sex life on live television.
14. And somewhere in the middle of all that he also managed to knock over a fellow council member.
15. Then he made bobbleheads of himself and they sold like hot cakes.
16. When a strange video surfaced showing an incoherent Ford speaking slurred Patois at a Toronto diner.
17. When, in a moment of joyous levity, he danced to reggae music in the council chamber.
18. When the city raised a rainbow Pride flag in front of city hall during the Sochi Olympics, Ford tried to have it taken down.
19. When he appeared on the Jimmy Kimmel Show and the host lovingly dabbed his forehead.
20. When Ford shipped himself off to rehab after a second video appearing to show him using crack — this time with screencaps — was reported by Gawker.
21. That time he went on a Timmies coffee run with Deadmau5.
22. When, in September 2014, doctors announced they'd found a tumour in Ford's abdomen. The diagnosis would eventually prompt him to withdraw from his mayoral reelection bid, leaving his brother Doug Ford to run instead.
23. When Ford resumed his old job as a councillor for Etobicoke and wore some memorable tracksuits to work to stay comfy as he continued his cancer treatment.
24. When he underwent chemotherapy and surgery before succumbing to the cancer on March 22, 2016.
Lauren Strapagiel is Managing Editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in Toronto, Canada.
Contact Lauren Strapagiel at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.