Here Are 21 Lies Movies And TV Always Tell You About High School
"Why are teenage boys always completely shredded?"
1. First of all, the teenagers in TV and movies look like fully grown adults and not regular-looking teens.
2. Fictional teenagers never actually seem to have bottom lockers...which seems pretty fake, but OK.
3. Nobody breaks out into song, even if someone breaks the ~status quo~.
4. Let's be real, no real-life high schooler wears heels and fancy dresses to school every day.
5. And on TV, there is not one single rule about the dress code.
6. On TV, the "popular" people are always the cheerleaders and football players.
7. For some reason, teens have HOURS between classes.
8. And the athletes always wear their uniforms to school.
9. TV and movies always make it seem as if community colleges and student loans aren't real, and you should only strive for Ivy League schools.
10. Teenagers on TV literally never have to worry about money, even though they rarely have jobs.
11. There never seem to be, like, any adults around EVER!
12. And the schools always seem to have zero rules.
13. Teens in movies always belong to verrrrrrrry stereotypical cliques.
14. Teens can do whatever they want and they never get grounded.
15. High schoolers on TV never actually do any school work.
16. And the teen guys in movies always look like they spend a billion hours at the gym.
17. Movies make the last day of senior year seem like a HUGE deal and make you feel lame when your school doesn't have an end-of-year carnival.
18. Winning prom king or queen is always a bigger deal than it really needs to be.
19. Teenagers always have loads of time in the morning before even getting to school.
20. On TV, high school sweethearts are pretty normal and almost every character has one and gets married to them.
21. And finally, the most unrealistic thing is that high school marks the most important years of your life and everything after is just mundane and boring.
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.