Two Women Collapsed In Manchester After Taking "Lego" Ecstasy Pills
They fell ill just days after a 17-year-old girl in Manchester died when she took the "Mastercard" form of the drug.
Police in Manchester have issued a warning to anyone who may have taken a form of ecstasy known as "Lego" following the collapse of two women who took the drug in the city centre on Friday night.
An ambulance was called to a nightclub on Princess Street at around 1:30am on Saturday morning after two 21-year-old women from Stockport became unconscious after taking what was believed to be "Lego" pills.
Both women had regained consciousness by the time they reached hospital, and one of them has subsequently been discharged. The other remains in hospital for further observations.
The incident comes just days after 17-year-old Faye Allen died after taking a form of ecstasy known as "Mastercard", also in Manchester.
"We hoped that this would act as a warning to other young people about putting these substances in their bodies – you really don't know what you are taking or how it will affect you," Detective Inspector Brian Morley of Greater Manchester police said, referring to Allen's death.
"We don't believe that Greater Manchester has an increasing problem with these so called 'party drugs' but obviously our young people are not taking the advice they're offered," he added. "To those thinking about taking these drugs – They are illegal for a reason. I don't want to have to repeat this statement next weekend, or ever for that matter. Think of the bigger picture, are the potential consequences really worth it?"
Morley said he was glad that on this occasion he was able to report a less grave outcome than the previous Monday.
"These women are very lucky. I'm happy to be saying that they should make a full recovery, but the reality is, I could easily have been giving my condolences to their families instead," he said.