Hi! We're Lara & Sam, and like most kids who were alive during the '90s, Clueless was one of the most important — nay, ICONIC — movies of our adolescence.
Clueless as you know is more than just a movie. It's a way of life.
So to truly honor the movie and the #impact it had on our lives, we decided to do a ~Clueless Crawl.~
AKA, we put on our most capable looking '90s outfits, drove around to some places in Los Angeles where they filmed scenes for the movie, and took some pictures to prove it. It was way casual.
To start our day, we had to merge onto a freeway. But we knew we couldn't do that without doing it Cher and Dionne style.
Our first stop was the legendary Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, where Cher walks down some stairs. Important stuff, we know.
We totally nailed it.
Our expectations were pretty much met with this stop. After all, this wasn't a CRITICAL scene in the movie, but it DID provide context — Cher is TOTALLY a Beverly Hills girl, so it was crucial to get into character with our first stop.
OK, remember when Cher "totally paused" and blew through a stop sign in Beverly Hills? That was our next stop.
It's located at the corner of Elevado and N. Hillcrest in Beverly Hills, and unlike Cher, we weren't taking any chances — we actually DID totally pause at the infamous stop sign.
Doesn't this stop sign just seem like, totally historic?
OK, remember the scene where Cher is walking around Beverly Hills and she realizes she's in love with her stepbrother Josh (played by Paul Rudd, so who can blame her)?
This is where our first hiccup occurred. The fountain is located in the Beverly Gardens Park in Beverly Hills but California blondes that we are, we couldn't find it.
We wandered aimlessly up and down Santa Monica Blvd. for like, half and hour, and finally decided that this fountain would have to do, even though it's clearly not the fountain Cher walked around.
Sadly, our time in Beverly Hills was coming to a close. Just like Cher, we had to leave the safe enclave of high-end retailers and manicured lawns and head over to the Valley, first to Circus Liquor.
Even though it was light out, Circus Liquor felt pretty similar to what it looked like in the movies. We even stepped out to "call" a taxi, just like Cher tried to do in the movie.
Even better for us, no one tried to mug us while we were stopped at Circus Liquor!
Our fifth stop is where things get REALLY interesting. Cher's Beverly Hills mansion is not, in fact, located in Beverly Hills. It's located in ENCINO of all places. Yup, Cher's house is really located in THE VALLEY.
Even though it's located in the Valley, befitting of Cher's posh lifestyle, her house is heavily gated.
And if you had her wardrobe, wouldn't you want a fence this big guarding your house?
We tried to peek through the gate, and we could definitely see the white mansion in all its glory. But this is the closest we would get because we were terrified of setting off any alarms.
You know EXACTLY what we're talking about. Cher is walking on campus when a boy approaches her, and then...
OK, so this wasn't a bustling high school lawn — Bronson Alcott High School is ACTUALLY a college campus. But this felt better than finding out Cher is *technically* a Valley Girl.
Thankfully we got to stay on Occidental's campus to check out the tennis courts where Amber asks Ms. Stoeger to excuse her because her plastic surgeon said not to do any activities where balls fly at her nose.
Unfortunately, the '90s gods were frowning upon us. The tennis court was CLOSED to the public.
Also, it was on the second floor of a building. And we didn't want to do this anymore, because our buns weren't feeling nothing like steel.
BUT as a bonus, we did see the track where Cher negotiates with her P.E. teacher to have her grade raised.
It's actually a soccer field/football stadium, and there was a game going on while we were there!
"But what about the iconic Valley house where Cher attends an epic house party?" you ask? Well, we were totally down to find this iconic home...
...until we figured out how deep in the Valley the house actually was.
And in conclusion, what were we reminded of during our Clueless Crawl, aside from the fact it doesn't say "RSVP" on the Statue of Liberty?
1. Dionne and Murray must have been directionally challenged to have been driving all the way in Long Beach.
2. Beverly Hills kind of feels like Clueless IRL.
3. It's probably good to TOTALLY pause at any and all stop signs.
4. Romance is dead, because we couldn't find the fountain where it dawned on Cher that she's in love with Josh.
5. Don't ever go to parties in the Valley, because if you take a wrong turn you might end up in Sacramento.
6. However, it's OK to stop at Valley liquor stores, preferably in the daytime so you don't get mugged.
7. Everything Hollywood tells you is a lie, because Cher's mansion is in the Valley, not Beverly Hills.
8. But at least it's gated like Cher would want, so you can't REALLY see it.
9. Visit Occidental College if you're a huge fan of Clueless. It's totally buggin'.
10. On that note, Cher apparently went to high school...at a college campus. Hollywood magic is weird.
11. "As if" is still the preferred tell-off for getting rid of gross boys.
12. By the end of the day, we were so tired we felt like full-on Monets — from far away we were OK, but up close, we were a big old mess.
13. We still love Clueless.