1. In spite of covering just 7% of the Earth’s land, rain forests are home to more than 50% of all the plant and animal species on the planet.
4. Less than 1 % of the light that strikes the top of the forest penetrates to the forest floor.
5. The trees of a tropical rain forest are so densely packed that rain falling on the canopy can take as long as 10 minutes to reach the ground.
6. Some of the vines found in rain forests are as thick as grown men’s thighs. That’s pretty thick.
11. Rain forests have given us chemicals to treat or cure inflammation, rheumatism, diabetes, muscle tension, surgical complications, malaria, heart conditions, skin diseases, arthritis, glaucoma and hundreds more.
Thanks, rain forests.
12. In the rain forest, you can find over 1,500 insects in a single tree.
13. Goliath birdeaters, a type of spider that EATS BIRDS, is found in the rain forest.
- Today's pride parade in New York will honor the 49 victims of the Orlando gay nightclub attack.
- Brexit fallout turns into political chaos in Britain: Seven opposition party members resigned Sunday in an effort to force leader Jeremy Corbyn to quit.
- Does Brexit really tell us anything about Trump? "The Brexit did not have a candidate — it was simply a policy choice."