1. If we knew how to fix it, we would.
2. It's not fair to say that "our problems could be so much worse."
3. ...Because the knowledge of other people's issues does not make our own disappear.
4. We can't always "just deal with it."
5. But in a way, we ARE dealing with it as best we can. Every single day.
6. Sometimes we're not even sure how we made it out of bed this morning.
7. Depression isn't just a bad mood...
8. ...Or a bad day.
9. We are not doing this to hurt you.
10. And we've tried many things to bring ourselves out of it.
11. There isn't always a "reason" for being depressed.
12. It isn't about us feeling sorry for ourselves.
13. Although we appreciate your suggestions, exercise is not always a solution.
14. And neither is a night out on the town.
15. Living with depression does not mean we are weak.
16. Depression doesn't just affect our minds, it affects our bodies, too. It physically hurts.
17. Even though it might not seem like it, we need our friends now more than ever before.
18. Chances are, we're probably already being really hard on ourselves over this. We don't need you to be, too.
19. And finally, depression is not a choice. Please remember that.
To learn more about depression, check out the resources at the National Institute of Mental Health here.
If you are dealing with thoughts of suicide, you can speak to someone immediately here or by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.