1. Here’s the UAE goal. After a beautiful pass by Omar Abdulrahman, Ismaeli Matar evades Uruguayan keeper Martin Campana and puts it in the back of the net.
2. Uruguay are heavy favorites in this game, and the UAE celebrated by taking a brief moment for group prayer.
This is the first time the UAE has qualified for the Olympic men’s soccer tournament, and they’d so far stymied Uruguay’s Luis Suarez, who might be the best soccer player at the London Games.
4. That is, until Suarez drew a foul and Gatson Ramirez struck this perfect curving free-kick.
5. As good as the shot was, UAE keeper Ali Khaseif overplayed the shot, which was placed splendidly but wasn’t that hard.
And people say soccer is boring.
- Churches across the US are prepping an underground railroad system for immigrants who fear deportation under Trump.
- The widow of a Kansas immigrant allegedly killed by a white nationalist demanded answers from the government about stopping hate crimes.
- At a rally in NYC, trans New Yorkers asked for support from the broader LGBT community — something they haven't always gotten.
- Barack Obama took Malia to see a Broadway show and everyone is talking about how refreshed he's looking 😎