1. Score’s tied 6-6. Bottom of the 9th; two outs; bases loaded. Placido Polanco, at bat for the Phillies, hits a grounder to Marco Scutaro. Scutaro throws it to first, and — Helton leaves the bag.
Helton’s mistake on what should’ve been a routine out gave the Phillies the win. Had he kept his foot on first, the game would’ve gone into extra innings. For the 38-year-old Helton — a three-time Gold Glove winner — it doesn’t get much more brutal than this.
- Trump's pick for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, could face a contentious confirmation hearing — at least by standards of the position.
- Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit: no single market, parliamentary vote on the final deal, and a warning to the EU not to punish the UK.
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Most hate crimes go unreported. Help BuzzFeed News and other news outlets document hate crimes and harassment in the US.