1. This is Ray Lewis.
Ray Lewis is the 17-year veteran linebacker and emotional czar of the Baltimore Ravens, who will be playing in Super Bowl XLVII (47, for non-Romans). Lewis has already pledged to retire after the season — he’s even got a deal with ESPN in place, to comfort those still suffering from Brett Favre PTSD — which means that the Super Bowl will be the final game of his career.
2. This is Jim Harbaugh.
Jim Harbaugh is in his second year of coaching the San Francisco 49ers, and will be coaching them during the Super Bowl. Prior to that, Harbaugh coached the Stanford University Cardinal and the University of San Diego…Toreros? Toreros! Prior to that, Harbaugh was the quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders and an assistant coach at Western Kentucky University. Prior to THAT, he was an NFL quarterback, playing from 1987 through 2001.
3. This is Ray Lewis with his coach, John Harbaugh, who in addition to being Jim Harbaugh’s brother also looks a lot like Jim Harbaugh.
Please squint and pretend that this is Jim Harbaugh and Ray Lewis, for the purposes of this exercise.
4. So, as established, Ray Lewis and Jim Harbaugh will be facing off in Super Bowl XLVII. Here’s the weird part. Back on Oct. 13, 1996, during Ray Lewis’ rookie year, his Ravens played the Indianapolis Colts.
5. Jim Harbaugh was playing quarterback for the Colts.
6. And Ray Lewis recorded the first sack. Of his career. Against Jim Harbaugh.
7. Here is that sack.
8. And here is Ray Lewis dancing, just like he does today, except a little different: It’s the proto-Ray Lewis sack dance. But, for a rookie, that’s good dancing. Mid-career-quality dancing, at least.
9. Here’s video of the sack.
10. That was in 1996. It is now 2013. They’re facing off in the Super Bowl.
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏