1. Friday evening, an MLB umpire elevated this Mariners-Rangers outing from routine ballgame into paradoxically cruel metaphor for human life. It all happened on this “double play.”
2. Did that look like a regular double play to you? Look again. First baseman Mitch Moreland reaches out for the throw from second, at which point the ball is stolen by pitcher Justin Grimm.
3. Grimm obviously and inexplicably swipes the ball away before Moreland can reach it. Ump don’t care. Ump’s like, “Great reach, what did you guys think of that Gatsby flick, idk.” THE UMP CALLED THE RUNNER OUT.
4. It gets even better. Even if Grimm hadn’t intercepted the throw for no godly reason other than that he could, Moreland’s foot came off the bag — meaning that Mariners hitter Jesus Sucre should’ve been safe regardless.
5. Let this serve as a lesson. Life isn’t fair. We’re all subject to the manias of quantum chance. Everything that can possibly happen will, or won’t. And one day, you’ll be called out through no fault of your own.
The Rangers won by four. Remember, boys and girls: stay in school, don’t do drugs, and hope your umpires have eyes.
H/T to Deadspin’s Greg Howard
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival has turned into a total shitshow. "I think the festival took on a life of its own," the event's co-founder said 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- A teen had a remarkably petty response when her ex asked for his prom money back: She paid him in all pennies 😏