South African sprinter Oscar Pistorius, who was an Olympic hero at the 2012 London Games after becoming the first sprinter to compete with prosthetics, has been charged with murder for shooting a woman believed to be his girlfriend. A look back through previous news stories and his Twitter account demonstrates that his history with guns is deep.
2. In January 2012, New York Times Magazine writer Michael Sokolove visited Pistorius in South Africa. Sokolove writes:
Here is the Times Magazine story in full. Early reports from this morning’s shooting allege that Pistorius mistook his girlfriend for a burglar.
3. Sokolove also had this conversation with Pistorius:
4. And then Pistorius took the reporter to a shooting range.
5. Pistorius tweeted about his achievement at the range at one point, and advised American sprinter Wallace Spearmon to go shoot fish with “the biggest [caliber] gun” he had.
Spent the afternoon at the Tormezzo Italian Shooting range. Had a 96% headshot over 300m from 50shots! Bam! http://t.co/5z5×0rPZ— Oscar Pistorius
@PrinceSpearmon go find a dam and shoot some fish with the biggest Cal. gun you got! Lol— Oscar Pistorius
- Bernie Sanders' former press secretary says she experienced repeated incidents of blatant racism while on the campaign trail.
- Sixteen people died after a hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in Texas Saturday.