At this point in the season, the Clippers are the best team in the NBA. They aren’t its most talented team, or the team most likely to win the championship come May — those honors would go to the Heat or the Thunder — but right now, there’s no squad as deep, as efficient, or as consistent. And on New Year’s Day, the Clippers headed to Denver having won their last 17 games, dating back to a November 26 loss against the Hornets. JaVale McGee was waiting for them.
Denver ended up dominating the Clippers 92-78, dealing them their worst loss of the season so far, and no Nugget was more integral in the blowout than McGee, who shined like the goofy, weirdo diamond that he is. McGee’s line was a solid 11 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and one blocked shot, but it wasn’t so much the numbers that he put up — it was how he got them.
3. JaVale isn’t exactly known for his passing, but on this fast break, he throws an impeccable assist on the bounce to a full-speed Corey Brewer.
4. I mean, this is just a really good pass, right past the outstretched limbs of Lamar Odom.
5. Surprisingly, he did it again later on, feeding Kenneth Faried a terrific underhand pass on a back-door cut after receiving the ball on the high blocks.
6. Now, JaVale’s fans might be worried that he lost his killer instinct with all this passing. Never fear — here’s a classic jam from the NBA’s longest wingspan.
7. Of course, I saved the best for last. With 1.3 seconds left in the third quarter, somehow it’s JaVale who ends up at the top of the arc to take the buzzer-beating three. He drains it.
His first three-pointer of the season couldn’t have come at a better time.
8. Here’s video of the three.
9. That, my friends, is:
- Trump's pick for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, could face a contentious confirmation hearing — at least by standards of the position.
- Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit: no single market, parliamentary vote on the final deal, and a warning to the EU not to punish the UK.
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Most hate crimes go unreported. Help BuzzFeed News and other news outlets document hate crimes and harassment in the US.