1. The setup: there’s a new NBA video game coming out. NBA 2K14. LeBron James, the greatest basketball player in this or any universe, is on the cover.
Now, let me walk you through the appropriate stages of reacting to this comment:
1. “Wait — a flop? Isn’t this game a pretty safe bet, business-wise? I mean, it’s the latest installment in a long-running franchise of basketball video games; it’s not like it’s going to surprise anyone.”
2. “A floppy disc? Playstation games aren’t on floppy discs. I haven’t even seen a floppy disc since the Clinton administration, and it came in a letter from AOL.”
3. “Something’s not right here.”
4. “OHHHHHH it’a LeBron flopping joke.”
At first, this Reddit commenter — I would rather be dipped slowly into a vat of egg yolk than use the word “Redditor” — is making an ambiguous statement: he could be talking in the parlance of entertainment, using “flop” as a reference to hilarious failure, or he could be referring to LeBron. It’s the bizarre non-sequitur follow up re: the floppy disc that gives away the proverbial goat. (Joke-goat.) Obviously, the game will not be on a floppy disc; that’s just another opportunity for a dig at LeBron’s theoretically compromised masculinity, and a chance to reaffirm Western hetero-normative notions regarding the performance of authenticity.
So: this is bad, because it’s a bad joke, structurally; this is good, because the “floppy disk” non-sequitur is so weird that it almost redeems/winks at itself.
But the best part is that there is a single, totally earnest response to this joke.
It’s beautiful. It’s poetic. It’s perfect.
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- The turnout at Trump's inaugural concert was much smaller compared to the crowd that showed up for Obama's 2009 celebration.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌