1. Let’s set the scene: the Orioles and the Rays are tied 2-2 in the top of the 9th. There are two outs, and the Rays’ Rich Thompson is on second.
2. At the plate, Evan Longoria hits a dribbling groundball to the left side of the infield.
3. Orioles third-baseman Manny Machado fields the ball and, instead of attempting the difficult throw to first — which, if he screwed up, could lead to a Rays score — pump-fakes, then tosses it to the shortstop.
4. Watch it again. The play is equal parts savvy thinking and tremendous athleticism.
5. The fake gets Rich Thompson off the bag, and he’s eventually chased down by Matt Wieters. Then the O’s win the game. BOOM: tied again with the Yanks for first place.
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- BuzzFeed News analyzed all the links in Donald Trump's tweets to determine where the president-elect gets his news 📰❗️
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago today, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.