1. Let’s set the scene: the Orioles and the Rays are tied 2-2 in the top of the 9th. There are two outs, and the Rays’ Rich Thompson is on second.
2. At the plate, Evan Longoria hits a dribbling groundball to the left side of the infield.
3. Orioles third-baseman Manny Machado fields the ball and, instead of attempting the difficult throw to first — which, if he screwed up, could lead to a Rays score — pump-fakes, then tosses it to the shortstop.
4. Watch it again. The play is equal parts savvy thinking and tremendous athleticism.
5. The fake gets Rich Thompson off the bag, and he’s eventually chased down by Matt Wieters. Then the O’s win the game. BOOM: tied again with the Yanks for first place.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign was reportedly hacked as part of what appears to be a broad cyber attack on Democrats.
- A federal court struck down North Carolina's voting restrictions, ruling they intentionally made it harder for black people to vote.
- Four people in Florida are likely the first to contract the Zika virus from mosquitos in the US, the state's governor says.