1. First! The United States scored early on a goal by Carli Lloyd, off a lovely assist from Alex Morgan.
2. Then Hope Solo made one of her many incredible saves.
3. The U.S. got away with what should’ve been a penalty kick…
4. And Abby Wambach kicked a Japanese player in the face. (Accidentally, I think.)
6. Early in the second half, Carli Lloyd scored her second goal, and it’s so pretty I had to post the whole video.
7. But it didn’t take long for Japan to retaliate, and from here on out they pressed the U.S. hard.
8. It looked almost certain that Japan would tie the game up after stealing the ball near the U.S. goal, but… HOPE SOLO.
9. And when the U.S. escaped with the win, Pia Sundhage was understandably excited.
10. Here are the two teams just after the end of the game.
11. Megan Rapinoe, clad in the American flag, showed her thanks.
12. And the women accepted their gold medals.
- Congress has voted to override President Obama's veto of a bill that'd allow families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia.
- A teenager was taken into custody Wednesday after he shot two students and one teacher at an elementary school in South Carolina.
- Jerry Springer says Donald Trump probably wouldn't be on his show because his guests are authentic and tell the truth.