This is Niki. She’s a video producer at BuzzFeed, and she loves wearing flannel the way dolphins love making clicking noises.
Niki describes her style as comfortable and efficient, and she tries not to spend too much money.
1. And while Niki loves her look, she thought it’d be cool to see what she might look like if her friend-os, the women of Ladylike, each took a turn dressing her. And here’s how it went:
2. Safiya went first, and she was determined to glam Niki up.
3. Saf dressed Niki in a black body-con dress with an attached choker, a bomber jacket with tigers on it, some heeled boots, and winged eyeliner.
4. Saf was super pleased with what her outfit was doing for Niki’s booty, and Niki agreed — even if she was a lil’ out of her comfort zone.
Niki’s thoughts on this look: “Saf’s outfit was HOO HA WHOOOA. It was tight. Everything was tight. [But this] was one of the outfits where I was like, I can’t believe I look good in this. ‘Cause I did!”
5. Freddie also wanted Niki to show off her bod, but went in a slightly different direction.
6. Freddie dressed Niki in an oversize T-shirt dress with long sleeves, gold hoop earrings, a high bun, and white sneakers:
7. Freddie was very excited for Niki’s J.Lo/Ja Rule early-2000s vibe.
Niki’s thoughts on this look: “The earrings took me over the top, which is what I think Freddie wanted, but I thought, This is not me! My ears jiggled every time I moved, and it’s really hard to wear headphones. The dress was definitely not too far out of my comfort zone — I could foreseeably wear it again.”
8. Jen wanted Niki to go full Diane Keaton in Annie Hall.
9. Jen dressed Niki in tailored blue pants, a white button-down, brown suspenders, a brown skinny tie, and brown wing-tip shoes.
10. Jen said Niki looked like she was in Man Men, and Niki was pleasantly surprised.
Niki’s thoughts on this look: “I knew how to command myself in this outfit. And I had a moment where I had to walk into a room and meet someone new, and [it was this] total power moment! It was a little formal for a Wednesday at work, but I looked good.”
11. Devin wanted to give Niki a superhero workplace-chic look.
12. Devin dressed Niki in a sleek black bodysuit with black booties.
13. Devin also added a berry lip color to the mix, but Niki was very torn on this outfit.
Niki’s thoughts on this look: “Devin’s outfit really put me out there, and I had a really hard time with it. People thought I looked really good, and the style itself is something that’s in style, but I really didn’t know how to feel about how to carry myself.”
14. Kristin wanted to put her in a dress with a silhouette that screams “business shark”:
15. Kristin dressed Niki in a sleek navy dress with elbow-length sleeves and black heeled boots.
16. Chantel noticed that this outfit was very Michelle Obama-esque, which Niki was delighted by.
Niki’s thoughts on this look: “I really appreciated Kristin’s approach. She wanted me to try something new, but she gave me something that she knew would align with how I like to dress myself. It was pretty formal, so this wouldn’t be something I’d wear to work, but if I had to go to a cocktail party, I’d totally throw this on.”
17. Chantel wanted to put together an outfit for Niki that would be a little ~teasing~.
18. Chantel dressed Niki in a black overall romper, a black long-sleeve turtleneck, and black booties.
19. Chantel thought it was v cute, and Niki’s prior negative feelings about rompers did a total 180.
Niki’s thoughts on the look: “It was a really great happy medium. I tried on a romper a few years ago and thought they weren’t for me, but I loved the one Chantel gave me, so maybe i need to revisit other rompers.”
20. Overall, Niki was glad that she got her friends to dress her, as she learned that there are all sorts of ways to be comfortable that don’t involve just flannel.
- A draft of a plan to repeal Obamacare was released that'll block federal funds from Planned Parenthood and cut healthcare benefits granted under the law.
- The widow of a Kansas immigrant who was allegedly killed by a white nationalist demanded answers from the government about stopping hate crimes in the US.
- Time to change your passwords: Uber and Fitbit are among the millions of websites that may have been compromised 🔐
- A billboard in North Carolina that claims "Real men provide. Real women appreciate it," has sparked controversy across the country 👀