If you've ever been a child, there's a good chance you shoved something up your nose at some point in your youth. I'm not here to judge — just stating facts.
Well, 23-year-old Hannah Hamilton happens to have a very unique story when it comes to nostrils and random objects.
In her TikTok, she states, "When I was like 3, I remember sticking a bead up my nose and being like, 'It's not coming out.' I didn't tell anyone. I don't know why. But I didn't tell anyone that I stuck this bead up my nose and [I] forgot about it. This is probably TMI, but I had a sinus infection a couple of weeks ago and I had this massive booger I could not get out...it was super painful, and it was bothering me..."
"So, I got one of those earwax cleaning cameras. I know you're not supposed to use them anywhere else, but I used it in my nose to see if I could see this and it was just BIG. And I couldn't get it out. Finally, it dislodged and I guess it went to the back of my nose or something, but it was gone the next day and I was like, 'Great, GONE!' Well, it just came back and it was really painful and I was trying to get it out. I was blowing my nose really aggressively, really hard — I couldn't get it out. I got the little camera out again and I looked and there was a little bit of blue on it. And that brought back that memory of that bead from when I was like 3 years old."
"Well, I finally got it out. It was very painful. But a bead — a blue bead that has been in my nose for 20 years just came out of my nose — 20 years I've been living with a bead inside my nose and I had no idea," Hannah concluded.
Now, I know what you're thinking. Evidence or it didn't happen! Well, I'm happy to report that Hannah delivered:
If you're in a little shock, take a quick breather 'cause we are gonna get more details directly from Hannah about this booger bead!
Hannah told BuzzFeed that when she was younger, her mom was into arts and crafts, so they always had beads and glitter around the house. "I remember pulling the bead out of a basket in the closet. I wanted to see if it would fit in my nose, but then couldn't get it out. As far as I remember, I didn't tell my parents — which was a funny choice, considering my mom was a nurse of 10 years," she said.
Every few years, Hannah said she would remember the bead, and about a year ago, actually told her fiancé that she remembered sticking a bead in her nose as a kid but didn't remember it ever coming out. "I, of course, assumed it was not a real memory — maybe something that I had seen or heard from a show or book. Or perhaps, from a warning of a parent telling me not to make this mistake, oops!"
When Hannah saw blue in her nose with the earwax camera, the memory of the bead flooded back to her. "Prying it out definitely hurt, but not as much as you'd think — and it was only for a few seconds. I stared at it in amazement because it was HUGE and was inside me for 20 years!"
Now that the bead is officially out (and Hannah's sinus infection is cleared up), she says she is breathing clearly and feels great. "However, compared to the last 20 years, there really is no difference. I can't smell any better, breathe any better, and I don't notice any difference in the size of my nose," she said.
OK, so since we know there are probably hundreds of thousands of kids around the world sticking random objects up their noses right now, we decided to speak to an expert to see if they have thoughts or advice!
BuzzFeed spoke to ear, nose, and throat (ENT) Dr. Tonia L. Farmer, who has been in practice for 20 years. She confirmed that it is very common for kids to put things up their noses. "Toddlers and young children are curious. Just like infants and toddlers tend to put everything they get their hands on in their mouth, they also will experiment with insertion in places like their nose and ears. It’s natural for them to explore things within their reach. Some parents may never even realize their child put a foreign body in their nose — and it’s only discovered during a routine exam," she said.
Dr. Farmer said that, typically, foreign bodies are discovered quickly because the child will pick their nose or complain of discomfort. But if it's not immediately discovered, there are signs that parents can look out for. "These include a foul smell from the child’s nose, purulent drainage from one nostril (it’s more common for children to put objects into one nostril versus both), and sometimes bleeding," she said.
She added that most foreign objects that are stuck in the nose are not dangerous — they are just irritating.