We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community to share the funny way they got proposed to and, well, it turns out a lot of their responses just left us scratching our heads. Enjoy!
1. "My husband proposed to me butt naked in the middle of the night. It was pitch dark in our room and I was about to fall asleep when I heard him rustling around. I turned on my cell phone flashlight and saw him kneeling down, naked with a ring box."
"To this day when friends ask how he proposed, I leave out the naked part."
2. "My teacher told her boyfriend that she wanted to be proposed to when she was 'having a really bad day.' So, one day her boyfriend texted her saying, 'We need to talk.' The whole day she was sad and worried he was going to break up with her. When they met up, he proposed."
3. "My ex-husband proposed to me in the parking lot of a Burger King where he thought he met me. This was not where we met and it had no significance in our relationship. It was actually where my best friend flashed him and his friends for the first time."
4. "My cousin's girlfriend loved blue-and-yellow macaw birds, so he decided to propose while dressed in a giant (homemade) macaw costume in front of the whole family. Somehow the suit got ripped and he didn't realize there was a gaping hole in the rear end...and he wasn't wearing underwear."
"Let's just say we all got a LOT more than we bargained for when he got down on one knee!"
5. "We went to a park and I was too busy playing Pokémon Go to pay attention to what he was trying to do – which was propose to me."
6. "I ruined someone else's proposal. I was really gassy while eating at a restaurant. The guy at the table behind me was in the middle of proposing to his GF and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I let out a really loud fart while he was asking and people were pissed at me for ruining their big moment."
7. "I tried to walk on a lake I thought was frozen solid (something I had done many times in past years), but it wasn’t quite frozen through and I literally FELL IN THE FREEZING LAKE! So, there I was, soaking wet from my waist down and he said, 'Well I’m not gonna wait now,' and got down on one knee and proposed."
8. "I was about three months pregnant when my then-boyfriend and I were driving from our place in North Carolina to meet his family in Long Island to tell them about the baby. I was asleep in the car when he elbowed me awake and handed me a ring. His proposal was, 'Ya know since I knocked you up already.'"
9. "My dad proposed to my mom by dumping cold water on her while she was in the shower. He ran away and hid because he knew she would run out all upset and angry, so he left a ring with a single rose on her pillow."
10. "My BF and I got stoned one evening and eventually started telling each other how how happy we made one other. He then used my full, long Argentine name and asked me to marry him. Knowing we were stoned, but also really excited, I asked if he was serious and all he said was, 'No, I'm just kidding.' That lead to a two-day fight."
11. "The night my boyfriend proposed his best friend was with us and he literally crapped his pants. We laughed it off. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen at the wedding!"
12. "He proposed to me in an email."
13. "My mom was asleep and my dad called my mom's dad asking for his permission. After he said 'yes,' my dad immediately woke up my mom and asked her to marry him. My mom said, 'no' and that she wanted to go back to bed."
"The next day they talked about it more and 17 years later they're still in love with three kids."
14. "My BF knew his sister was watching, so he said, 'Lets get this over with... Will you marry me?' When I broke up with him shortly after, I started the breakup speech the same way!"
15. "I had to pee really bad while on a walk with my BF back to our hotel on vacation. I wanted to stop, but he insisted I wait. I had to pee so bad I was in pain and started arguing with him saying I was glad we weren't getting married anytime soon! When we got back, I shoved him out of the way and took the longest pee of my life. I was so sweaty, I couldn't even get my jeans pulled back up, so I walked out with them around my ankles and laid on the bed to cool off. I looked over and saw him holding a ring and he proposed."
“I asked for a redo and he just shrugged and said, ‘Moment’s over. Besides, what just happened is VERY us.’”
16. "My husband kneeled down literally right next to a huge pile of dog shit outside my house. It was distracting and not very romantic."
17. "My mother let it slip that my husband had been by the house while I was at work to talk to them. I texted him thinking she was messing with me, but he blew off the question. The next day, after watching TV for a bit, he got up, went to his closet, and tossed a ring box at me saying, 'Since your mom ruined the surprise, I guess you should have this.'"
"And that is how he proposed. We still laugh about it."
18. "While working at an Italian restaurant, a guy asked if we could bring a ring and flowers out to his GF on a tray for him to propose during dinner. My manager excitedly came out and placed it on a couple's table. The woman was ecstatic, but the man was in sheer horror. It was the wrong table."
"We all had to awkwardly watch as the correct groom walked over and claimed his ring from a very upset woman. The rest of the proposal was over shadowed by the crying woman and her boyfriend trying to explain he just 'didn't see that future for them.' Needless to say, no amount of free dinners was fixing that mess."
19. "I was NOT proposed to, TWICE. The first time, my boyfriend took my hand, looked at me lovingly and popped the question...only to follow it with a loud 'APRIL FOOLS!' The second time – with the same guy – he pulled out his grandmother's diamond ring and I got all excited and giggly. He gave me the ring while saying, 'This is not a proposal, I just think you should wear this.'"
"I'm still with him. It's been almost 20 years and we still are not married."
20. "A guy I had hung out with a couple of times took me aside side and said, 'You're beautiful. I want to leave my wife for you, will you marry me?' I looked at his face for a sign that it was a joke, but he was being deadly serious."
21. "My husband proposed to me on a cruise ship and I got so drunk I had to be pushed around in a wheelchair after throwing up everywhere. I then was banned from drinking on board for 24 hours."
22. "We were looking at Christmas lights and it was dark, so I couldn’t see much but saw he was carrying a baggie. He was fumbling around in it and looked me straight in the eyes and said, 'It’s not drugs.'"
"He finally got around to actually asking me and we’re getting married at the end of the year!"
23. "My now-husband texted me while I was at work. It said, 'Hey, do you wanna get married?'"
"I said, 'yes' and we have been married seven years now!"
24. "We were just sitting around watching TV, and he looked at me and said, 'Wanna get married? We can totally write it off on taxes. It's extra money.' So that's how I was proposed to."
"We eloped and didn't tell anyone 'til we were coming back from the beach where we did it. Oh romance."
25. "My sister drove me out to this beautiful area where I immediately spotted roses and picture frames all over the ground. I was convinced we were ruining someone else’s proposal and frantically tried to run away. My boyfriend came out from behind a bush and I didn’t recognize him. I yelled, 'There’s the MAN. WE HAVE TO GO!' and tried to run away even faster."
"I eventually figured out it was my own proposal and I’ve never felt dumber. We’ve been married almost three years now."
26. "I ruined my husbands proposal three times. The first time he was going to pick up my engagement ring, but I got the email and picked it up first. The second time, he was going to take me out to dinner where we had our first date, but I insisted on going somewhere else. The third time, he hid in a cardboard box in the middle of the driveway. I thought it was just recycling."
"He eventually was able to propose without me ruining it!"
27. "At Multnomah Falls in Oregon, my boyfriend and I climbed up a viewing bridge and it was so slick and wet from the waterfall spray, my BF fell over. Soaking wet and flat on his back, he pulled out a ring, and asked me to marry him."
Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.