1. During last night’s Oscars ceremony, Chris Rock brought three Asian-American children onstage, introducing them as “PricewaterhouseCoopers accountants.”
2. The joke alluded to the stereotype of Asian people being good at math. Rock followed with a joke about child labor: “If anybody’s upset about that joke just tweet about it on your phone, which was also made by these kids.”
3. Many Twitter users expressed their distaste at Rock’s joke, citing his previous pledge to make this year’s Oscars ceremony about diversity.
8. Others used the joke to point out the continued lack of representation of Asian nominees.
11. There has also been backlash against Sacha Baron Cohen and a joke he made about Asian people.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists says they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- A Texas girl celebrated her 6th birthday with an absolutely amazing Selena-themed party 🎤🌹