1. Murtagh first rescues Claire from Black Jack Randall and takes her to the Highlanders, thereby setting the course of events for Jamie and Claire's union.
2. He won't let anyone insult Claire.
3. As tough as he may seem, he's actually a romantic at heart.
4. He calls Laoghaire a lassie and dismisses her. Major points.
5. He's fiercely loyal and protective.
6. And that also extends towards Claire.
7. He always has Jamie's best interests at heart.
8. Even if it means keeping Black Jack's survival a secret.
9. He helps rescue Jamie from Wentworth Prison.
10. Even if it means humiliating himself in every town with his dancing skills.
11. He gives good advice.
12. And talks some sense into Jamie when he wants to kill himself.
13. He's hilariously blunt.
14. He follows Jamie and Claire to France without question.
15. And supports their mission to prevent the Jacobite rebellion without knowing the details.
16. Bottom line: He rocks.
17. And everyone agrees.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!