1. That spark or jolt up your spine that you sometimes feel when aroused is the pudendal nerve, which connects the penis/clitoris to the brain.
2. The penis and clitoris, are homologous, aka they form from the same tissue in a developing embryo.
3. The area of the brain that is stimulated when an addict does heroin is the same as area of the brain that orgasms stimulate for men.
4. When two or more erogenous zones are stimulated they create an additive effect making a very powerful “blended” orgasm possible.
5. Documented reports as early as 2968 B.C. prove that men can indeed have multiple orgasms, a phenomenon more commonly associated with women.
6. A person’s inability to reach orgasm is called Anorgasmia, literally meaning “lack of orgasm”.
7. Planned Parenthood reports that 30% of women have trouble achieving orgasm at all and up to 80% struggle to reach orgasm through vaginal intercourse.
8. A person can achieve orgasm well past the age of 90.
9. The average man needs 2–10 minutes to climax.
10. The average woman needs 20 minutes to climax.
11. However some women have been reported to climax with merely 30 seconds of masturbation.
12. The orgasm gap refers to the difference between the percentage of men that report their female partner had an orgasm (85%) and the percentage of their female partners reporting actually having orgasms (64%).
13. Some women orgasm during childbirth.
14. People have reported orgasming from simply thinking about orgasming.
15. People who have had sex reassignment surgery can and do have stimulated orgasms.
16. The reason that sometimes a person looks like they’re in pain when they’re orgasming is because two of the brain regions that are activated by pain are also activated during orgasm.
17. Orgasms relieve pain for roughly 10 minutes after climax.
18. Transudation is the process of vaginal lubricant moving from the blood capillaries to coat the vaginal canal, colloquially know as a woman getting wet.
19. If a woman feels insecure about her relationship relationship she is less likely to orgasm.
20. The first written mention of female ejaculation is by Aristotle.
21. Women and men with spinal cord injuries can experience orgasm when a partner stimulates the hypersensitive skin around their injury.
22. An erection isn’t necessarily needed for male ejaculation.
23. In Egyptian folklore the world was created when the god Atum masturbated.
24. Medieval writers called pre-ejaculate “the distillate of love.”
25. An orgasm involves practically every body system even though it’s primarily felt in the brain.
26. People have been using sex toys to orgasm for several hundred years.
27. An orgasm by itself only burns 2–3 calories, but you can burn up to 50 calories during foreplay and intercourse.
28. Former U.S. Vice President Nelson A. Rockefeller died after suffering a heart attack during sex with a woman in a hotel room.
29. May is National Masturbation Month.
30. And to encourage people to talk about masturbation in a positive, non-shame-based way, the San Francisco Center for Sex and Culture holds a Masturbate-A-Thon each year.
31. Clitoral hood piercings don’t have any negative impact on orgasm.
32. Circumcision doesn’t negatively affect a man’s ability to achieve orgasm, but foreskin does seems to lead to increased duration.
33. When a person achieves climax, the areas of the brain that process fear and “vigilance for danger” shut down.
34. It’s been reported that roughly 15–20% of American women have never orgasmed.
35. Sexual health experts encourage using the term “experience” instead of “achieve” to describe having an orgasm because the word achieve may put pressure on sexual partners.
This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders are facing off for the first time since the Bern's big win in New Hampshire. We're bringing it to you live 🇺🇸
- World leaders have agreed to a "cessation of hostilities" in Syria, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said.
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.