16 Extraordinarily Successful People Who Failed Miserably Before They Made It
If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again. List inspired by these answers on Quora.
1. Will Smith's life got flip turned upside down when he owed the IRS $2.8 million in taxes in 1989.
4. Sidney Poitier was brutally rejected by the American Negro Theater for his Bahamian accent and difficulty reading.
10. Dr. Seuss' first children's book, And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, was refused by 27 publishers.
12. At 18, Frida Kahlo was in a car accident that caused her to have more than 30 operations in her lifetime and left her unable to bear children.
16. And Oprah Winfrey was fired from Baltimore’s WJZ-TV for being too "emotionally involved" with the stories she reported.
Correction: Hattie McDaniel won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 1939 for Gone with the Wind. An earlier version of this post said Sidney Poitier was the first black actor to win an Oscar. He was the first black actor to win a competitive Oscar for a leading role.