So, lettuce is part of the Asteraceae (OR Sunflower Family). This does not make sense. But it’s right. Why? No one knows. NO ONE!
2. 1. Head Lettuce
Iceberg is basic. It’s crispy and lasts in the refrigerator. It grows in a tight ball. Like…a head.
3. BUT you can do THIS with it!!
Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing. Cheese, bacon, and only 10 minutes? I’m down for that!
4. 2. Romaine/Cos
Leafy yet crunchy. Good refrigerator life. More flavorful than iceberg, and less sensitive to heat. Great for salads and sandwiches.
Cos lettuce and basil soup. A new idea for lettuce: an herbaceous concoction of basil, lettuce, creamy goodness and a couple other things. With a cook time of less than 10 minutes, it’s worth trying, right? (Yes).
6. 3. Leaf
“But isn’t it all leafy?,” NO!…well, kind of; but in lettuce terms, leaf means “loose leaf” or “cutting” lettuce. It’s the most widely planted type. It’s delicate and flavorful. Generally, the weird leafs in mixed salads get grouped in this category— from arugula to red oak and watercress.
7. IT’S GREAT FOR…
That’s not a bowl of salad greens, it’s LETTUCE CHIPS! Some olive oil, a little bit of seasoning, some leafy lettuce, a little bit of time, then POW. Lettuce chips.
8. And all the other types.
Okay, so there are really nine kinds of lettuce. But other than the top three, the other varieties include stem and oilseed. The former is weird and the latter is just pressed for oil. You could press your own oil from the oilseed, then brush the stem lettuce, and grill it!
Mix it with a couple other things and use it in a stir fry!
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.