2. Every job posting seems to say this:
3. (Dalkey Archive’s job posting was only outrageous because it spoke the worst of what’s on the industry’s mind.)
What can get you ‘fired’ from this unpaid internship: leaving the office early, being unavailable on nights and weekends, going to weddings, giving a boss unsolicited advice, ‘gossiping.’
5. You might’ve aced your Barthelme thesis as an undergrad, but sometimes the only job available is in editing gardening textbooks.
8. And even your mom’s friend’s dog is trying to give you his manuscript.
13. You get to work with people who read as much as you do! How cool is that?
15. …and go to sales conferences for the winter publishing season…
17. At least you get to read your favorite authors in advance. Maybe even share booze with them at the London or Frankfurt Book Fair.
19. …and handle all marketing on Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook because your boss hates all those things…
20. …and deal with bookstores/venues canceling in the middle of a book tour…
21. …or authors trying to micromanage you via email over the weekends…
25. Remember: you work at a place that makes all the books you love.
- For MLK Day, we're taking a look at some rare pictures of Martin Luther King Jr.
- At least four people were killed in a shooting at a Mexican music festival.
- The Russian government agrees with comments Donald Trump made on Sunday, saying that NATO is "obsolete."
- And BuzzFeed News spent two months mapping Trump's personal and business connections — and found more than 1,500 in all.