Before writing and starring in The Office and The Mindy Project, Mindy Kaling drew a campus comic strip for The Dartmouth called “Badly Drawn Girl.” Most of them poked fun of campus institutions and Webster Ave frat culture, which still have their share of problems today. Kaling’s 1999 Hanover doesn’t seem that different from the mid-2000s version I knew. And though crudely drawn, the comic was not without its fans.
The strip ran daily between 1999 and 2001.
1. First day of classes:
2. Spot the Kappa president:
3. Meet the faculty advisors:
4. Choose your dining hall: Collis, Home Plate, or The Hop?
5. Choose an a cappella group:
6. Getting facetime as a Webster Ave debutante:
*Lodge & Hanover Crew: upperclassmen who welcome freshmen to campus for orientation hiking trips (everyone crushes on them).
7. Meeting bros who break stereotypes.
8. And getting checked out at Dick’s House.
*Dick’s House: campus student health center.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- And people with disabilities are having their photos stolen and Facebook isn't helping them.