As investigators try to understand what caused Asiana Airlines Flight 214 to crash short of the runway in San Francisco on Saturday, friends and family are mourning the deaths of the two teenagers found dead on the tarmac following the accident.
Wang Linjia, 16, and Ye Mengyuan, 17, were long time friends joining 30 students and four teachers from Jiangshan School in Zhejiang province on a summer study program that brought students to the Silicon Valley, Stanford University, University of California at Berkeley, and Los Angeles to study English. Classmates of Ye and Wang voted the two as their favorite campus emcees and hallway radio hosts.
The pair chose to sit together in the last row of the Boeing 777.
Officials say it is possible that Wang was run over by ambulances rushing to the scene.
4. Many online have noted that Ye Mong Yuan’s last Weibo message says “444444,” which is a homonym for “death” in Chinese.
Classmates remember Ye as the bright voice speaking on the campus hallways’ loudspeakers. “I wanted to pass the radio host baton onto her,” a current senior at her high school said.
Mung Yuan just finished 10th grade, which is traditionally when students are split between humanities and science majors in China. She worried about being split away from her friends. Her teachers remember her as a lover of the arts and literature, and a talented pianist and singer. She was proud to place first in a recent country-wide gymnastics competition.
5. Wang Lin Jia’s last Weibo message said “go.”
“Whenever anyone forgot to bring an umbrella, Wang would take you in under hers,” her classmate said.
Wang was a homeroom class monitor, a special position in Chinese schools that names the class’ top student as the teacher’s assistant. Her classmates voted for her to lead her class for three years. Her family says she was an avid painter and calligrapher, and father proudly hangs her artwork at his office.
In a recent essay her teacher shared online, Wang wrote about her mother: “her nagging becomes yelling. I don’t stop to consider of why she cares. I just push back … should I drift away from her just because I’m growing up? A parents’ bond shouldn’t just be watching each other fade from our lives!”
12. After learning about the accident, Wang’s teacher wrote this note online:
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Apple's annual sales have fallen for the first time in 15 years... but the company still makes $100M every day 🍎📉
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- The first Gilmore Girls trailer is finally here and it looks like Luke and Lorelai are together 💛☕️