1. On Jan 1, Chinese news outlets reported that fox meat was being sold as “five spice donkey ham” in northern Chinese Wal-mart branches.
3. A Jinan City reporter found that suppliers can easily buy marinades online to mask fox meat’s strong gamey taste.
This de-scenting agent promises to act as a fly repellent, and claims that all meats cooked with its formula will taste fresh and odorless for 20-24 hours afterwards. Because of the strong smell of foxes, their flesh sells for USD $1/kilogram.
4. Customers who’ve eaten that brand of donkey ham were naturally put off.
7. Some wondered why anyone would bother to use fox meat.
8. Others were less impressed.
11. Meanwhile, Walmart China promises to refund customers 50 yuan per bag and inspect their suppliers more rigorously.
- It's the third day of the Democratic National Convention. Here's where things stand 🇺🇸