6. When a civil rights marcher returned to Alabama:
Current Montgomery police chief Kevin Murphy apologized last month on behalf of Alabama police for allowing the Freedom Riders to be beaten by white mobs in 1961. He also gave Rep. John Lewis his police badge.
“I’ve been arrested and jailed many times, especially during the ’60s—about 40 times,” Rep. John Lewis said. “And never has a police officer offered to apologize.”
The 12-time congressman also relayed a story of a man bringing his son to his office and asking for forgiveness for beating him. “I said, ‘I accept your apology.’ He started crying. He gave me a hug. I hugged him back, and we both started crying.”
We are all waiting for someone to apologize to us. And someone out there is still waiting for us to apologize.
- President Trump laid out an ambitious agenda in his speech to Congress, but Republicans are still divided on how to pass that agenda.
- The FBI is investigating if bomb threats against Jewish centers came from an internet "troll" and are profiling a lone, young, tech-savvy person.
- Facebook is using artificial intelligence for suicide prevention, scanning feeds for signs of people at risk of self-harm, then offering resources for help.
- Uber's CEO said he's "seeking leadership help" after dash-cam footage was published of him aggressively arguing with a company driver 😳