6. When a civil rights marcher returned to Alabama:
Current Montgomery police chief Kevin Murphy apologized last month on behalf of Alabama police for allowing the Freedom Riders to be beaten by white mobs in 1961. He also gave Rep. John Lewis his police badge.
“I’ve been arrested and jailed many times, especially during the ’60s—about 40 times,” Rep. John Lewis said. “And never has a police officer offered to apologize.”
The 12-time congressman also relayed a story of a man bringing his son to his office and asking for forgiveness for beating him. “I said, ‘I accept your apology.’ He started crying. He gave me a hug. I hugged him back, and we both started crying.”
We are all waiting for someone to apologize to us. And someone out there is still waiting for us to apologize.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump that his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized its use.
- A researcher with Human Rights Watch was denied entry into Israel after the country's government called the organization "propaganda."
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at Coachella, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while pregnant 🐝😭