1. You’d expect to find relatively sophisticated portrayals of women in films like Million Dollar Baby and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but… in these movies?
Named for cartoonist Alison Bechdel, who introduced the idea in a 1985 issue of her comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For, the “Bechdel Test” is a way of measuring gender bias in a movie or other work of fiction. In order to pass the test – which most Hollywood movies don’t – a given movie must feature at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something besides a man; see lists of films that pass here and here, or think about the characters in shows like Girls or Broad City. But the movies in this video are definitely not ones you’d intuitively think of as falling on the positive end of the gender-diversity spectrum.
- President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump had their first dance to Frank Sinatra's "My Way" at an inaugural ball 🇺🇸
- On his first day in office President Trump signed an executive order to "minimize the economic burden" of the Affordable Care Act.
- Over 200 people were arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clashed in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- Flights around the country are packed with pink as people stream into the nation's capital for the Women's March 👭 💖