1. You’d expect to find relatively sophisticated portrayals of women in films like Million Dollar Baby and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but… in these movies?
Named for cartoonist Alison Bechdel, who introduced the idea in a 1985 issue of her comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For, the “Bechdel Test” is a way of measuring gender bias in a movie or other work of fiction. In order to pass the test – which most Hollywood movies don’t – a given movie must feature at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something besides a man; see lists of films that pass here and here, or think about the characters in shows like Girls or Broad City. But the movies in this video are definitely not ones you’d intuitively think of as falling on the positive end of the gender-diversity spectrum.
- Trump gave a speech in Gettysburg, PA that was billed as a major policy address. He mainly focused on his usual grievances 🔴
- A right-leaning nonprofit is planning to place news articles critical of Clinton in black newspapers ahead of the election 📰
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘