1. “I Call Your Name” — The Mamas and the Papas
Known for their hit “California Dreamin’,” The Mamas and the Papas churned out some great music in their heyday. Lead vocalist Cass Elliot has one of the most recognizable voices in music history.
2. “More Today Than Yesterday” — Spiral Starecase
Chances are you’ve heard this song in some movie before and have hummed it without ever knowing what you were singing. Say hello to this one-hit-wonder that will surely become your go-to shower karaoke song.
3. “Goin’ Down” — The Monkees
The Monkees were a made-for-TV band who, after a successful run on their television show, found some traction in the record industry. Their smash hit “I’m a Believer” was revived by Smash Mouth in recent years and was featured in the movie Shrek. The song “Goin’ Down” might sound familiar to any Breaking Bad viewers, as it was featured in the episode “Say My Name.”
4. “The Night Chicago Died” — Paper Lace
The throbbing bass, the story-like lyrics, and the “nananana”s…what’s not to like?
5. “United We Stand” — Brotherhood of Man
Not only is it a great song, but it’s damn inspirational. Put this on the next mix tape you make for your best friend to tell them how much you love them.
6. “California Soul” — Marlena Shaw
A song that just transports you to California. Shaw’s vocals are like honey. This song has recently been featured in a few commercials, but it deserves more than that…it deserves to be appreciated on its own.
7. “(Last Night) I Didn’t Get to Sleep At All” — The 5th Dimension
A beautifully crafted song layered with backup vocals, and one to which we can all relate. A tune before its time, it’s easy to imagine a modern pop diva like Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus putting their own spin on these lyrics. The group The 5th Dimension saw great recognition for their smash-hit 1969 single “Aquarius (Let the Sunshine In),” but their talent extends far beyond their flower power ballads.
8. “When Will I See You Again” — The Three Degrees
“You know, that’s the name of my favorite soul song from the ’70s.” A gorgeous song that combines the best of disco with beautiful female vocals for a song that you’ll catch yourself singing every day.
9. “I’m Into Something Good” — Herman’s Hermits
So cheesy and so old, but so good. This song has been recently covered by indie duo The Bird and The Bee, but it’s worth visiting the original track to get the full effect. The perfect song for the beginning stages of a relationship, no matter how corny it may sound.
10. “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)” — Looking Glass
Back before the days of lyrics like “damn, you a sexy bitch,” there was “Brandy, you’re a fine girl,” a song about a girl who loves a sailor who himself is in love with the sea. An excellent karaoke song, especially if you have a friend named Brandy, this is a jam that you’ll want to have in your repertoire.
- Trump's supporters are just as frustrated as he is about not getting things done — and they're blaming everyone but Trump.
- Thousands of people hit the streets on Saturday to participate in the People's Climate March, a protest against Trump's environmental policies.
- Turkey's government has blocked users in the country from visiting Wikipedia in yet another crackdown on free speech.
- Will Ferrell showed up to a special taping of Samantha Bee's "Not The White House Correspondents Dinner" as George W. Bush.