1. Penguins huddle together with their outer layer of feathers just touching to keep warm.
2. Dogs prefer to poo while aligned with Earth's magnetic field.
3. Being sleep-deprived makes you more susceptible to forming false memories, in which you remember something that didn't actually happen.
6. Time travellers don't use Twitter (or they're very good at covering their tracks).
7. The reason humans don't walk sideways like crabs is because it involves too much stopping and starting and ends up burning as many calories as running.
8. The Turin Shroud was not created by a radioactive earthquake at the time of Jesus' death.
9. There's now a meta-analysis that shows there is no link between vaccines and autism.
10. The world population is unlikely to stop growing this century.
11. Geckos are not very good at surviving in space.
15. The West Antarctic Ice Sheet has started collapsing.
16. A new deep-sea mushroom-shaped creature has been discovered that defies classification.
18. If you zoom in enough on people's faces in photographs, you might be able to extract identifiable images of bystanders in the eyes of those in the photograph.
20. Sixty-four hours is plenty of time to gather interesting data from a comet you've landed on, if not the ideal amount.
21. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, sits within a neighbourhood of 100,000 galaxies.
22. Marriages that start with expensive engagement rings and weddings don't tend to last as long as ones that start with cheaper ones.
23. Mantis shrimp might not have super vision after all.
24. Nobody knows what the first image on the World Wide Web was.
26. True stories don't necessarily make us more emotional than fictional ones.
27. You can manipulate people into feeling certain emotions by showing them more Facebook posts with that emotion in their news feed. (But you will make even more people feel angry because you did a huge experiment on them without properly asking.)
29. Researchers have recorded 28 instances of oral sex between two male brown bears at a sanctuary in Croatia.
30. Female insects of the genus Neotrogla have a penis and can have sex for up to 70 hours.
31. Male rats can be trained to get turned on by female rats wearing little jackets.
34. The biggest dark spot on the nearside of the moon is not actually an impact crater, but a result of tectonic activity on the moon 3.5 billion years ago.
35. Mice seem to like running on wheels, even in the wild.
36. Some blind people use echolocation to find their way around.
37. It's possible to create teeny tiny supernovas in a lab using lasers.
39. The 200km-high geysers we thought existed on Jupiter's moon Europa might not be there after all.
41. A 10-second kiss passes on 80 million bacteria.