1. When your criteria for footwear goes from "looks cute" to "has arch support and room for an insole".
RIP all your current shoes.
2. When you have to wear trainers to work and hope nobody notices your new casual look.
3. When you discover the magic healing properties of golf balls.
4. And cool, soothing frozen water bottles.
5. And find new uses for lots of other household objects, too.
6. When you discover that some shoes you actually like give you the support you need.
7. When you try running, or even just walking, through the pain and immediately regret it.
8. When you try on shoes you 100% know you can't actually walk in just to see what they look like.
9. When you discover there's a whole world of arch support products out there and you have no idea where to start.
10. And a bunch of fancy massage balls you can buy when you graduate from just using golf balls.
11. Not that you'll have any money once you've shelled out for new shoes and trainers.
12. When you first learn about these socks and you're like, "lol nope".
13. And then you learn about night splints.
14. When you find something that works for you and it feels pretty damn great.
15. Even if it does look a little odd.
16. When you finally realise the only way to get better is to do all those stretches your doctor told you about.
17. And when you watch this video and can practically feel the relief.
Kelly Oakes is science editor for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
Contact Kelly Oakes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.