1. Life expectancy has doubled over the last 150 years.
2. If you'd been born in the 1800s, you probably would have died by this point.
3. And it probably would have been of something horrible, like consumption (tuberculosis), or cholera, or whooping cough.
4. A few decades ago, HIV would have been a death sentence. Now, people with HIV can live almost as long as they would have without it.
5. Widespread vaccination programs have all but wiped out several diseases that used to be common.
6. And scientists are hopeful that we'll soon have vaccines for other diseases, like malaria.
7. With the extended lifespans given to us by medical science, humans have done some pretty fantastic things.
Like go to the moon, in a spacecraft that has less computing power than a typical phone these days.