2. Exhibit A: She’s replaced boyfriends with girlfriends.
When was the last time you read about Taylor going on a date? Hint: It’s been awhile. She’s been too busy creating an adorable girl gang to bother with boys.
3. Exhibit B: Most of her new BFFs are outspoken, unapologetic feminists.
Taylor hasn’t just been surrounding herself with women, she’s been surrounding herself with feminists. Outspoken ones at that! Between Tavi, Lorde and Lena Dunham there’s no way Taylor still thinks feminism is about pitting “guys versus girls.”
4. Exhibit C: She was spotted buying feminist literature in New York City.
Back in April, Taylor hit up McNally Jackson in SoHo to stock up on some feminist literature. You go girl! Education is power.
5. Exhibit D: Riot GRRRL Kathleen Hanna has said she’s a fan.
Look, we all know Taylor is queen of the Google Alert. She clearly makes a point to become friends with everyone that ever talks about her. She’s got to know that Kathleen Hanna is a fan. That means a “Rebel Girl” cover is totally plausible, right?
6. Exhibit E: She’s retired her most slut-shame-y song.
One of the downsides to being a musical prodigy is that the embarrassing ideas and attitudes you had as a teenager are forever immortalized in song. While critics point to “Better Than Revenge” and “You Belong With Me” as proof that Taylor’s a proponent of girl-on-girl hate, it’s more complicated than that. During her last world tour she didn’t perform “Better Than Revenge” at all and gave “You Belong With Me” a retro girl-group makeover, as if to acknowledged that the song’s ideas are antiquated at best.
7. Exhibit F: Sources close to her new album are hinting at “broadened subject matter.”
That’s, like, almost definitely a euphemism for feminism.
9. Exhibit G: She’s actually been pretty feminist all along.
Yes, seriously. She’s a young woman who has risen to the top of male-dominated industry without catering to the male gaze or surrendering her point of view. She chose to sign to a small label so she could be in control of her career. She writes about her feelings. Her audience is almost exclusively young women.
10. Here’s to hoping she finds the vocabulary to talk about the feminism she’s been practicing since the start!
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- Cuba is preparing to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23-year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂