1. She’s credited as a writer on every song she’s ever released and the sole writer on more than half of them.
2. She plays four instruments: guitar, banjo, ukulele, and piano.
3. Country music superstar wasn’t her first career choice – she initially wanted to be a financial adviser.
4. She wrote her first song, “Lucky You,” at age 12.
5. Her parents named her after singer-songwriter James Taylor and hoped that by giving her an androgynous name she’d have a leg up in the business world.
6. At 14, she was the youngest songwriter ever hired by Sony/ATV music publishing.
7. She wrote her own Saturday Night Live monologue.
8. When she was a teenager, she spent an entire summer writing a novel about a shark that washed up on the dock of her family’s shore house.
9. In high school she had a 4.0 grade point average.
10. She wrote “Our Song” for a high school talent show and decided to include it on her first album after she heard classmates singing it in the halls.
11. Her maternal grandmother Marjorie Finlay was an internationally known entertainer and opera singer who hosted a television show in Puerto Rico.
12. Nicki Minaj credits her for the crossover success of “Super Bass.” Months before the song was released as a single, Taylor asked a Nashville radio station to play it during an interview and made headlines when she was coaxed into rapping a verse on air.
13. She finished the homeschooling coursework for her junior and senior years of high school in just 12 months.
14. That house she bought next to the Kennedy compound? It was a short-term financial investment, not an attempt to move closer to then-boyfriend Connor Kennedy.
15. While the ugly, oversized glasses she wore in the “You Belong With Me” music video aren’t hers, she does own a similar pair.
16. She worked as a CMA Music Fest intern when she was 14.
17. Her record label, Big Machine, had no furniture and only 10 employees when her first single was released. When a song needed to be sent out to radio, Taylor and her mom would sit on the floor to help stuff CD singles into mailers.
18. She learned how to play a 12-string guitar before ever picking up a six-string guitar.
19. She’s an incredibly generous philanthropist who has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to support arts education, children’s literacy, natural disaster relief, LGBT anti-discrimination efforts, and charities for sick children.
20. She quietly changed the lyrics to “Picture to Burn” after it was brought to her attention that the line “So go and tell your friends that I’m obsessive and crazy/That’s fine I’ll tell mine you’re gay” might be considered offensive.
21. Her first job was debugging Christmas trees on her parents’ farm.
23. When she decided to sign with Big Machine after leaving RCA, her father made a small investment in the company and now owns 3% of the successful label.
24. Before moving to Nashville she was part of a sketch comedy group called TheatreKids Live!
25. She’s still close with Abigail Anderson, her best friend from high school.
26. She’s the youngest artist to ever win the Album of the Year Grammy. She was 20 years old when she won in 2010 for her album Fearless.
27. She loves the poetry of Pablo Neruda and included a quote from “Poem 20” in the liner notes for her album Red.
28. Before falling in love with country music, she tried to make it on Broadway.
29. Growing up she had a crush on Taylor Hanson because they shared a name.
30. She walked away from an RCA Record deal at 14 because they wanted her to wait until she was 18 to release an album.
31. She has a framed photograph of the Kanye West incident hanging in her Nashville home with the caption “Life is full of little interruptions” written underneath.
32. She wrote and recorded “The Best Day” as a Christmas present for her mother.
33. She stopped performing “The Best Day” on tour, however, because she could hear her mom crying backstage at every show.
34. She imagines she’ll have a second career as a songwriter for hire when her singing career slows down.
35. She claims the only time she’s ever felt starstruck was when she met Ethel and Caroline Kennedy.
36. She hopes to have a career like country singer Kris Kristofferson’s.
37. Years before she became besties with Karlie Kloss at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, she told Vogue she wanted to bake cookies with the supermodel.
38. The first song she wrote after “Lucky You” made it onto her debut album, it’s called “The Outside.”
39. While she’s not really a partier, her 22nd birthday party got so wild her neighbors filed noise complaints.
41. She’s proactive about challenging herself with every new record.
42. She says she treated working with songwriting legend Max Martin like an apprenticeship.
43. She has received praise from legends like Elvis Costello, James Taylor, Stevie Nicks, and Dolly Parton.
44. Lena Dunham considers her an “artistic kindred spirit.”
45. She is her own manager.
46. There’s a pond with koi fish in the middle of her Nashville apartment.
47. She stopped Googling herself after her less-than-stellar vocal performance at the 2010 Grammys.
48. She has recurring stress dreams, including one about getting arrested for a crime she didn’t commit.
49. She’s sold over 20 million albums worldwide.
50. Much of her romanticism is inspired by her grandparents 51-year marriage that ended when they died a week apart.
51. Her mother is a huge Def Leppard fan and listened to the band nonstop when she was pregnant with Taylor.
52. She says the song “Starlight” was inspired by old photos of Ethel and Bobby Kennedy.
53. When she collaborates with other artists she insists on doing it in person because she thinks it’s important for there to be a live connection.
54. Early in her career she opened for country superstars like Rascal Flatts, George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.
55. The way she used MySpace to build an audience was considered revolutionary for a country singer.
56. She gives her young fans on Instagram lengthy digital pep talks.
57. Her fifth album is due this fall and is poised to be her best yet!
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists says they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- A Texas girl celebrated her 6th birthday with an absolutely amazing Selena-themed party 🎤🌹