2. He’s conquered Europe and now, at long last, he’s bringing a unique brand of genre-bending pop stateside. Next week he’ll embark on his second North American tour, and, today, he’s releasing a new music video, exclusively on BuzzFeed Music.
3. The animated “Carmen” clip was directed by the acclaimed French filmmaker Sylvain Chomet. Stromae first teased the video on Instagram, an appropriate strategy given that it follows his drawn doppelgänger as he falls into the social media abyss.
Chomet gave the cartoon his signature evocative style. Widely regarded as one of the best animators in the world, his films — The Triplets of Belleville and The Illusionist — were both nominated for Academy Awards.
4. His slow descent into Twitter madness begins innocently, with an adorable gap-toothed selfie.
6. “In 1875 Georges Bizet compared love to a rebellious bird.” Stromae told BuzzFeed Music in an email. “140 years later (and in 140 characters-messages) love is a blue bird.”
8. Want to rethink your entire online existence? Watch the full “Carmen” video now.
Stromae’s album Racine Carrée is available now!
- The March for Science is happening today. Scientists and their supporters will demonstrate in cities around the world.
- The Justice Department sent a letter threatening to pull funding from sanctuary cities, but the cities will likely continue to resist.
- A Muslim group in Virginia will finally be allowed to build a mosque. All it took was 25 years and a federal lawsuit.
- 15,000 Afghans applied for interpreter visas. Only 1,500 visas remain. Now, with lives at risk, senators want more.